Were doin this! Show in hamden ct tonite. Any requests. Any at all for anything? Carb dump of Kolaches
Eugene mirman is marrying people onstage live at our show! Kurt bronholer killed it too. (at Sixth & I Historic Synagogue)
Cupcaked. Fancy beer. Cornhole. Free books. Lets party! (at Write Bloody: Poetry. Books. Writer’s Supplies)
Come visit me in texas and let this happen. (at Kreuz Market)
Here is a pretty sweet list of my favorite things to eat, drink and do in Austin. I love living here and this list is pretty tasty for visitors and for those living here wondering what to do this weekend or what dinner place to check out. I posted mine and then Eaters favorites after.
the grackel- bar with food truck that is east side king- try the Asian wings or the pork belly katsu sandwich
rudys- the one up by north 35 is best. it’s a gas station and I love the turkey and jalapeno sausage.
contigo- washer games, outdoor ambience amazing dewbury hills chicken
salty sow- just try the brussel sprout leaves
perlas- best fish and oysters
franklin bbq- get your grill around that wet brisket with espresso sauce
try and go on Sunday
sputniks- what a burger!
hopdoddy, what a burger!
hillside farmacy- best coffee in Austin- fancy date night meals, good breakfast
cenote- awesome cofeee and good sandwiches
texas chili parlor- real deal texas place. do not order more than one thing. huge.
uncorked- incredible wine and food
Alamo draft house- I love the spaghetti squash and the sea salt milkshake during a film
bangers on rainey st- try the alligator
black star co- op- its nice but not too fancy. no tipping allowed. amazing beer and shrimp and grits
24 hour diner- great shakes and bfast
chuys- ive only had the queso, but it ruled
the woodland on congress- great grub all around, American style
vino vino, incredible wines and food
buenas eires cafe0 try the empanadas with the raisins in them!
blue dahlia- good lunch
reds porch- brunch
hat creek, good cheap burger and the most amazing thing, chicken flashers when cash is tight.
uchi second best
kome 3rd but still so good and not as expensive
coal and vine
east side pies
barton springs- so good to get hot and dip in the cold clean water, 3 bucks but it is magical from 9-10 pm when it is free
texas rowing center- I love renting paddle boards and diving in when I get hot. 15-25 bucks you can kayak too if you prefer
bat bridge river tour
go visit my buddy dave shaw at lincoln st wine and cigar bar in fredericksburg tx. we were paratroopers together!
Mansfield dam. right below it are rope swings and free swimming and water is clean.
gruene- a little town an hour south, you can rent tubes or rafts and row down the rapids. so fun and easy. bring beer.
pinballz- you can tailgate or bring ina few beers at a time. all bad ass arcade
zilker park. summer concert series.
mt bonnel- picnic!
Austin nature and science center- kids but animals!
hike mckinney falls state park
cheer up charlies- they say its ahipster bar but all I saw were beautiful folks having a great time
rio rita- I love the spicy knees. great place to read or drink with friends
the liberty- my god the east side king has a food truck in the back with peanut butter and something puffy things. so good.
yellow jacket social club- so nice to chill among the birch trees outside at night. bring bug spray
the sahara- soul music happening is their best night. the African music night is so fun too.
east side showroom- maybe the best cocktail place in Austin. feels like old france inside. don’t go on fri sat
gourmands- great late night Sammy
ginnys little longhorn- get there early for chicken shit bingo. real deal texas place
deep eddy bar- real deal texas place
scoot inn- great place for show and skeeball
lala’s- this bar is truly forever Christmas
rainy st. this isn’t a bar, but a whole street of new bars. a lot of college kids on fri and sat so I stay away from their juice.
Mohawk- best place to see a show, besides…
stubbs- awesome outdoor venue
easy tiger- 100 beers on tap and try the pork ribs without sauce. sausage bar.
the black cat- a johnny cash bar
the nomad- a friendly local neighborhood bar when you tire of the madness
freedmans- amazing cocktails- try the bramble, changes often and the bbq is stellar
hula hut- not a cool place but a hawaiian cheeky place on the water.
moontower saloon- if you have a car, such a gorgeous spot foir cold beer and easy food
german draughthaus- a place I haunt, best beer selection, real local.
some activities I forgot almost all free
1. Spend 30 minutes exploring the weird wonderland that is the Cathedral of Junk.
2. Run around Ghost Town in Manor*.
3. Take your bike on a bumpy ride at the BMX park on 9th Street.
4. Dig for dino bones at the Austin Nature and Science Center.
5. Check out the impressive taxidermy displays and aquarium at Cabela’s in Buda.
6. Ride the saucer swings at Mueller Lake Park.
7. See the bats emerge from under Congress Avenue Bridge.
8. Climb the wooden forts in Georgetown’s Creative Playscape.
9. zipline! lake travis
10. improv is huge here, coldtowne has some weird shows.
11. broken spoke country line dancing
12. Explore the Asian Supermarket.
13. Take your skateboard to the downtown Austin Skate and BMX park.
14. san marcos tubing
15. Ride your bike around the Veloway.
16. Load up on fruits and veggies at a Farmer’s Market.
17. Take a docent-led tour at Laguna Gloria (suggested donation).
18. Climb Mount Bonnell.
19. Go on a self-led tour of the Texas Capitol.
20. Commune with the peacocks at Mayfield Park.
21. Learn why the alamo is kinda racist and enjoy the air-conditioned Texas Memorial Museum.
22. Visit the turtle pond on the UT campus.
23. Feed ducks at Mills Pond in Wells Branch.
24. Pet the cow statues in The Arboretum.
25. callahans is a great place to buy western stuff
26. Practice amateur Paleontology at Champion Park.
27. Take a hike in Wild Basin Preserve (suggested donation).
28. Touch a tank at the Texas Military Forces Museum at Camp Mabry.
29. Peruse modern art exhibits at AMOA-Arthouse at The Jones Center (suggested donation).
30. Pose for a family portrait in front of the “Greetings from Austin” mural.
31. Embark on a Historic Walking Tour.
32. Picnic in Zilker Park.
33. Head out on a creek expedition along the Barton Greenbelt.
34. Explore the Mexic-Arte Museum for free on Sundays.
35. Take the Family Nature Quest at McKinney Roughs Nature Park.
36. Dine at a local food trailer. i love east side kings, mcelthwaites bbq and biscuits and groovy
37. Navigate the incredible maze of costumes at Lucy in Disguise on South Congress. I prefer strolling in uncommon objects
38. Attend a Star Party on the UT campus.
39. Go on a scavenger hunt in The Blanton Museum of Art (free on Thursdays).
40. Satisfy your sweet tooth at the old-fashioned Big Top Candy Shop. also check out lammes candies
41. Wade in Bull Creek.
42. Give geocaching a try.
43. Attend storytime at BookPeople.
44. Buy lunch fixins at Whole Foods and eat by the playground on the rooftop plaza.
45. Tour a steam train.
46. B.Y.O.Kayak or swim in Lake Pflugerville.
47. Learn about famous Texans, like Stephen F. Austin, who were laid to rest at Texas State Cemetery.
48. The Natural Gardener.
49. Take a dip in Barton Creek.
50. Visit the chickens at East Side Café.
Ernie cline suggests
Tamale House on Airport Blvd – best breakfast migas on Earth.
Ms. Johnson’s Donuts – best all night bakery on Earth – also on Airport
Kim Phung – www.kplamar.com – best bowl of noodles in town.
Game Over Video Games – two locations – old video games – so awesome.
Austin eater suggests- in order:
franklin bbq on tues or wed, get there at 10
Nubian queen lola Cajun
whip in- great place to hang for drinks and Indian food.
jack allens kitchen
quality seafood for shrimp tacos
taco more for barbocoa
east side king at the liberty bar
second bar downtown
asia café for chinese
la condessa for guacamole
justines for French
matts famous el rancho for Mexican
dart bowl for enchiladas
fricanos for sandwiches
uchiko for expensive killer sushi
contigo for washers, cocktails and dewberry chicken
Lenoir for date night
hopfields for beer and weird food
lucys fried chicken
bouldin creek for hippie food
Hero of mine, greg dulli, came to my reading at last bookstore! He smells good ladies. (at The Last Bookstore)
Nerd city (at Mohawk Bend)
Glen hansard gettin into poetry radness with me.